The curtains have a body of very thin muslin to let in a ton of light. We only have windows on one side of our condo which creates a real lighting problem. It gets very dark towards the back end and our previous curtains were so thick that it just felt like a cave in here. I really wanted more light to come in, hence the thin fabric. It was also only 1.99$ a yard, plus I had a 50% off coupon, so score! 12 yards cost me 12 dollars.
The top part of the curtains are a reversible silk I’ve been carrying around in my stash for about 5 years. Silk isn’t really fun to sew with. I’m still finding strands of fray all over the house, but I really love the contrast of fabric type with the muslin and it looks pretty even from the outside balcony.
I used basic bias tape for the rod straps. It saved me a lot of time and headache that would have come from trying to get 25 strips of silk to play nice and I think it matches the roughness of the muslin. I made five of these panels.
Recovering the ottoman took about an hour. The fabric was a steal at 75% off. It was a full yard for about 12$ and I’ve got some left over for something else fun.